The Transportation for Massachusetts coalition is hiring a Transportation Justice Organizer. This person will collaborate with social justice and community-based organizations and other coalition partners that are working to improve and expand access to public transportation, walking, biking, and other affordable, clean, and reliable transportation options. As part of that work, he or she will develop and maintain partnerships and mobilize coalition members to create transformative policy change at the local, state, and federal levels.
The Organizer will report to the coalition’s Director.
- Learn about the transportation priorities and initiatives of community-based and social justice organizations throughout the state and synthesize the information.
- Develop strong transportation justice policy positions for the coalition in conjunction with Transportation for Massachusetts’ policy team.
- Strengthen relationships with existing coalition members and partners and develop new relationships with community-based and social justice organizations around the state.
- Identify opportunities for the coalition to support local transportation-justice efforts.
- Mobilize T4MA members as well as other community-based and social justice organizations on transportation-justice policy opportunities and threats.
- Work with the coalition’s communications team to highlight transportation justice issues and opportunities, including developing blog and social media posts to highlight the coalition’s work.
- Manage volunteer relationships and grow the coalition’s volunteer base, working in partnership with other T4MA staff.
- Support the T4MA staff and members to implement the recommendations of the T4MA Transportation Justice Working Group.
Qualifications and Skills
- Success in working in racially and economically diverse coalitions, and experience working in communities of color.
- Familiarity with social justice organizations in Massachusetts.
- Passion for transportation justice, and a strong understanding of the role of race and class in perpetuating transportation and environmental injustice.
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills.
- Relevant professional and/or volunteer experience in either community organizing, election campaigns, or issue-based campaigns.
- Familiarity with transportation services and issues, and ability to learn and synthesize relevant information; familiarity with climate and/or public health issues also desirable.
- A self-motivated and organized working style; excellent commitment to follow-through.
- This role entails organizing responsibilities statewide.
- Spanish language skills a plus.
Transportation for Massachusetts is committed to representing communities that have been impacted by transportation injustice, and to providing a positive, inclusive workplace culture where all can thrive. Candidates of color are encouraged to apply.
Compensation + Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Send resume and cover letter to Josh Ostroff, Partnerships Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Job Application – Organizer”. Applications will be accepted until we have filled this role.
Who We Are
Transportation for Massachusetts is a diverse coalition of more than 50 organizations working together to create safe, convenient, and affordable transportation for everyone. We advocate for transportation funds to be spent fairly and responsibly, for transportation decisions that are transparent and accountable, and to ensure that our transportation network has sufficient resources to meet tomorrow’s needs all throughout the commonwealth.